Alex - Sawyer Bennett

Professional athlete, Alexander Crossman is a phenomenal hockey player, unfortunately the fans hate him.  Cold Fury Management gives him an ultimatum to fix his reputation through a community service campaign as the Furies spokesman.  Little did they know how the program they chose would hit close to home.

When I first started reading this story, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it.  I love hockey and Alex, the main character who is an excellent professional hockey player hates the game – sacrilege!  As I continued reading there was a very good explanation for his feeling that alter by the end of the novel.  To be quite honest, if having gone through Alex’s childhood, I would have felt the same way.

I felt for Alex.  He had a horrible childhood being raised by an alcoholic abusive father who had affected him into adulthood.  I could not believe some of the things he suffered through.  After meeting social worker, Sutton Price, and seeing how she handled a similar upbringing, he wants to become a better person. I appreciate that he admits his jealousy and faults.  Although not an easy journey, Alex transforms throughout the novel into a person that he wants to be.

Sutton is a remarkable character.  She turned a negative situation into something positive, trying to help others that suffer through similar abusive upbringings.  No longer living with her birth father, her step-father and family have a strong supportive relationship that helps make that possible.  She is a light for Alex, that came along at the perfect time.

Sawyer Bennett wrote a powerful story, with real-world  issues.  Alex is a compelling and emotional novel that is well worth the read.   I really enjoyed the ending, it was quite clever.

I truly liked Alex’s teammate, Garrett, in this book.  He became a good friend, something that Alex wasn’t used to.   I look forward to reading his story in: Garrett (Cold Fury Hockey #2) which is expected to be released on February 17, 2015.

Complimentary copy provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.