The Darkest Promise - Gena Showalter

Gena Showalter’s THE DARKEST PROMISE is an excellent addition to the Lords of the Underworld series. Immortal, Cameo, is possessed by the demon of Misery.  Any time she acquires a joyful memory the demon steals it away.  Everyone who is around her feels dread, except for, Lazarus the Cruel and Unusual.  Lazarus wants Misery, but if she allows herself to be happy, she’ll end up forgetting.  This contemporary PNR is suitable for adult audiences.

Gena Showalter continues to do a fabulous job with her character development.  I’ve always felt bad for Misery.  I feel that her and Torin has two of the worst demons.  Not that being possessed by any demon would be pleasant.  I like that Lazarus is persistent and unaffected by Cameo’s demon.  His gift for reading minds is a plus.  I like that Misery’s godchildren, Urban and Ever, were in this story.  I also, appreciate Viola, keeper of Narcissism, presence.  She is good for a laugh.

The plot was clever and well executed.  There was a lot of action and interesting twists.  The Lords of the Underworld series continues to be thrilling and feel original.  After thirteen books, I still can’t get enough of this series and look forward to continuing following it.  I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.