Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief, Book 1) - Jennifer A. Nielsen

Jennifer A. Nielsen’s Mark of the Thief is an excellent start to the series.  This historical fiction/fantasy novel takes place during the Roman Empire three hundred years after Julius Caesar’s death.  Mine slave, Nicolas Calva, discovers the Bulla of Julius Caesar in a sealed cavern.  The amulet gives him magical abilities allowing him to talk to animals and added strength.  All he wants is his freedom, but he finds himself trying to stop a plot to destroy Rome.

I loved this story that is suitable for young adults.  Jennifer A. Nielsen does a fantastic job with the historical aspect and plot of this novel.  I like Nic.  He is hard working, brave, and devoted to his sister Livia.  I enjoyed his relationship with Caela, the Griffin.  I loved Nic’s appreciation for food, and all the things that a free person would take for granted.  Nic undergoes a lot in this story.  He has no idea who he can trust.  Radulf is a worthy opponent.  The Roman General will do anything in his power to crush the empire.  I found his connection to Nic interesting.

Mark of the Thief is a great new historical fiction/fantasy.  This book kept me mesmerized and was hard to put down.  I would love to see this book turned into a movie.

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review.